26 December 2022 Assignment: S02E01 - Meadow Lake

This episode is a typical Bob Ross landscape painting with a snow-covered mountain scape in the distance, with both mid and foreground areas covered trees, bushes and a water element.

For the Mountain base, Mr. Ross miss a number of colors - but I cheat and simply use the Mountain Mixture - so I have include a link for that paint in the supplies section.

As I may have mentioned before he also makes use of the 2" brush for certain elements but I am not comfortable yet with that so I stick to the 1" landscape brush and the #6 fan brush.  Working with the 2" with be something I need to do on my practice days - which seem to be far and few between now.

Meadow Lake
(c) 26 December 2022 Gilbert Blankenship

I think the sky in this one is a bit washed out, and a little bland.  But to me it does add the feeling of cold.  Despite that I had some problems with the mountains, I was able to get some decent shading in, reach the top edge of the mountain form and caught some decent paint breaks.  On the down side I also head some pretty thick paint laid in that I just couldn't seem to get off the mountain itself, and some small zones that took so little paint that you can pretty much see the canvas tooth.  I also had some errant brush hairs give me some pain.

Talking about brush hairs, my #6 fan is probably dying for a number of reasons.  Improper care being the primary reason.  Cleaning with paint soap and water apparently isn't good.  So I am going to have to order more.  In fact, watching one live episode on PBS recently I noticed in a brief shot that Bob uses a number of brushes during his painting.  And here all this time I thought he just had one of each that he constantly cleaned.  What a cheater.  I feel so used!

Ok, so this season I will buy brushes as I buy supplies until I think I have enough.  It will mean more "proper" cleaning - which I will try and research.

Back to the #6 Fan.  It's current state is problematic since I used it so heavily this session.  So enough about that.

Trees.  I still (kind of) like my evergreens, and am working on improving the trunks.  As to the other trees and their trunks/branches - well ... ok more work.  It's not like I don't have plenty of sessions coming.

I may have overdone the sticks a bit in this one, and my water ripples are not level.  All that said, I don't think its horrible.  In fact I am still having fun and I am seeing improvement.  So - maybe I will just keep going for a while.

And in the mistakes department, I mislabeled the back with my china pencil as S03E01.  Great (sigh).

And one last thought.  New format.  I have moved the thoughts about the assignment above the list of supplies and associate links - and have enlarged the results image.  Let me know what you think.

- Gil

Sources/Inspirations:

  • Official Bob Ross YouTube or Streaming Channel (check your smart TV software)
  • Amazon Prime
  • DVD 
  • Book

Materials:

NOTES: 
  1. In the video series he appears to use Burnt Umber (V) while in the books he uses Dark Sienna (B).  
  2. In the video series he uses Permanent Red (V) in the books he uses Bright Red (B).  Permanent Red does not appear to be available from Bob Ross Inc as of this date. 
  3. Also I have added a note for Transparent or Semi-Transparent (T) colors

Comments