28 December 2022 Assignment: Purple Sky

This was another painting session with a friend.  This time around he got to chose the subject matter.  We set forth attempting to use a photograph as inspiration.  Since it is a photograph and in order not to violate any copyright or ownership I will not publish the sources or inspirations for this session.

This week we used quite small canvas and a full palette attempting to re-create the colors presented.  Now I don't think I did the original justice, but I think I came closer than any other work done to date.  I am quite pleased with the effort - but would have liked to spend more time on it to flush out the forest.


The result - a happy day painting with a friend, full of a couple laughs, and learning how to mix my own colors.

And since I wasn't taking notes - aside from the obvious removal of gesso's and Liquid Clear/Black, you get a full palette listing of paints this week.

Purple Sky
(c) 28 December 2022 Gilbert Blankenship

The lesson I learned this week - it is very important in which order to mix your paints.  Light paints first then heavy.  For example, pull out a bit of white - then add a bit of blue.  Not the other way around.  A strong color paint will take ALOT of a weaker paint to blend out.  

Now you would think that should be obvious to anyone.  But then again, as a kid I could only afford the 8 color box of crayons, and as a future Marine, I am sure I chose to eat them rather than color with them.

- Gil

Comments