15 January 2023 Assignment: S02E03 - Ebony Sea

Effort

This was a fun painting that had some elements I liked and felt I was ready to learn.  Eventually there is a seascape from my childhood I would like to try, so ... lets get started.

I started having issues with the sky right off the bat.  Probably another issue of too much liquid white.  So my sun is a bit lopsided.

Then I had problems with the horizon and waves coming from multiple directions.

The wave in the center I couldn't get under control.

I think I did much better on the foreground, and varying shades of the rocks, the brushes are getting better and I actually like the tree here.

So I have a couple areas I need to work on.  No problem.  I will have lots of opportunity in the future for working on these items.


Ebony Sea
(c) 15 Jan 2023 Gilbert Blankenship

 - Gil

Sources/Inspirations:

  • Official Bob Ross YouTube or Streaming Channel (check your smart TV software)
  • Amazon Prime
  • DVD 
  • Book

Materials:

NOTES: 
  1. In the video series he appears to use Burnt Umber (V) while in the books he uses Dark Sienna (B).  
  2. In the video series he uses Permanent Red (V) in the books he uses Bright Red (B).  Permanent Red does not appear to be available from Bob Ross Inc as of this date.
  3. Also I have added a note for Transparent or Semi-Transparent (T) colors

Comments