8 January 2023 Assignment: S02E02 - Winter Sun

Assignment

I have to say that I was not excited about this effort.  First of all I had never seen a scene so full of red.  That is until a day or two after I completed it and then, one morning I walked outside with the pup - and there it was.  Bright as day nearly every tree in our neighborhood lit up in deep reds as if they were on fire.
(c) 2023 Gilbert Blankenship

Now I have to tell you right up front - and I know you will be shocked - this is not one of my paintings.  This is actually a poorly shot picture using my iPhone.

I know I know - hard to believe but it's true.  I did not paint this image.  I painted the one below.

Winter Sun
(c) 8 January 2023 Gilbert Blankenship

My problems with painting begin with too much yellow for the sun, which once I began blending into the blue sky resulted in ... some shade of green I couldn't seem to get out of.  Well, I guess if this were taken on the Pluto one might be able to argue a green sky - but then explaining away the trees and lake might be a tiny issue.

The detailed viewer will notice I didn't include Dark Sienna in the list of paints but I did include Burnt Umber.  Thats because the Dark Sienna wasn't included in the book supplies and he uses Burnt Umber in the videos.  When setting up my paints I didn't catch the discrepancy and it threw me into total brain lock when he mentioned Burnt Umber in the video.  Huh?  What was that?  OMG, I'm lost - what do I do now?  PAUSE PAUSE  STOP THE TAPE!

In any case this was a fun romp with less mud mixing, better sticks and even one remnant of a man-made object almost center front, a decaying fence line with only 2 poles left, on of which will be gone soon.

The tree trunks are looking better in my opinion but the branches still need work.

The important thing is I believe I am improving and I am still having fun.

- Gil

Sources/Inspirations:

  • Official Bob Ross YouTube or Streaming Channel (check your smart TV software)
  • Amazon Prime
  • DVD 
  • Book

Materials:

NOTES: 
  1. In the video series he appears to use Burnt Umber (V) while in the books he uses Dark Sienna (B).  
  2. In the video series he uses Permanent Red (V) in the books he uses Bright Red (B).  Permanent Red does not appear to be available from Bob Ross Inc as of this date.
  3. Also I have added a note for Transparent or Semi-Transparent (T) colors

Comments