29 October 2022 Assignment: S01E05 - Quiet Stream

Sources/Inspirations:

  • Official Bob Ross YouTube or Streaming Channel
  • Amazon Prime
  • DVD (unavailable from this resource as of this writing - 5 Feb 2023)
  • Book

Materials:

Ok, to be honest I don't remember much about this painting effort.  So let's jump to what I think I got right and what still needs work.

I like the water, and it's boundaries in this effort.  The rock face turned out pretty good at this point in my journey and I think I have decent depth of field here.

I am getting better at tree trunks and branches.

But ...

Right out of the gate I had issues with the sky.  It was too bright, and got even worse as I tried to blend the sunset into it.  Without the experience to know (or try) obvious items, like adding black or blue as a darkener to the sky - and laying in more yellow for the sun I felt it was time to leave it alone.

I am still having problems with the leaves on the trees.  Just a lack of experience and too much "blocks" of  leaves - like bricks.  So - I am still punching too hard with the brush resulting in the length and width of the brush hitting the canvas instead of just using the upper edge to lightly lay in leaves.  I also lacked the obvious dark background to round it all out.

Reality is still a few paintings away.  Even with all that, I had fun.  And at this point that is more important than worrying how it came out.

Quiet Stream
(c) 29 October 2022 Gilbert Blankenship

- Gil


Comments