30 October 2022 Assignment: S01E07 - Autumn Mountains

 Sources/Inspirations:

Materials:

This painting was done out of order for a reason.

Prior to this assignment I had determined that I might have some talent at this, but I wanted to get with an actual painting instructor so that I could address bad habits before they set in.  After a long FaceTime conversation during which he viewed and evaluated my work to date - he agreed, not to instruct me as he hadn't been instructing for some time, but would invite me to his studio to paint with me - and comment on my technique.  We set a date, he provided his address and we set forth to pick a project.  This was it.

Now right off the bat he said to me - this topic is horizontal and you are painting it vertically on your canvas.  I explained to him that it is not my intent to copy the project, but to try and learn the techniques covered in the episode.  I wanted to have something close to the topic, but not exact.  At this point what I wanted was to get the technique down, and not necessarily the scene.  Sure, there may (or may not) be similarities - and if there were more the better.  But I was concerned about my inability to make proper clouds, create effective breaks, and layer paints without making mud than I was about copying another's work.

He understood and seemed to think it was a good approach.  His primary concern seemed to be whether or not I was having fun, or getting frustrated.  I assured him that as a perfectionist I was having frustrations but I was also certainly having fun.

With that we set to spending the next couple hours talking and painting.  It was quite enjoyable.  From time to time he would leave his project and come look at mine.  Providing words of encouragement and ask questions about my thoughts, approach and what I wanted out of the painting.

Autumn Mountains
(c) 30 October 2022 Gilbert Blankenship

The final product has it issues.  But as progress goes I am happy with it overall.   I like my progress on evergreens, although those in the background are a little like a picket fence.  I think I have improved here on the sky, but I had problems moving into the foreground again.  I was probably rushing, didn't employ enough dark space and then attempted to use color to fill the negative space.  My water isn't my best efforts, nor are the water boundaries.

But, I made a new friend and had a good time.  I learned some new hints and tricks: 
  • Baby Wipes to clean the pallet
  • The concept of reusing paint thinner
  • Using cardboard or paper towels to dry oily paints if needed
  • Ensuring I use gloves to protect against the risks of paint thinner issues
  • Recommending the use of masks if I work in enclosed areas (same issue)
  • Keeping the paint thinner covered to limit evaporation issues (same issue)
  • I need to start naming, categorizing, and signing my work
Not only did I get months of web research recommendations,  I also began working out a new idea of using a peg board to organize my supplies after seeing how his studio was walled with peg board.

- Gil


Comments