Getting Started: Consumables and Other Supplies

 Painting can be an expensive hobby.  And, when discussing equipment (outside of the easel probably the single largest expense) I will discuss obtaining sets.  You can however start by purchasing only what you need, taking the minimalistic approach.  But this will cover the remaining items.

Brushes and Knives.  

One of the things that Bob Ross emphasises for this approach is the use of natural hair brushes.  There are a variety to choose from, but I am going to stick with the Ross Brand.  These brushes are actually marketed under the Ross brand but made by another company, Martin F Webber.

A full landscape set of Ross brushes is available, amazing enough, through my Amazon link - but is of course available from a number of other sources as well.  The full set consists of 2 pallet knives for mixing colors and application to the canvas, a two inch brush, one inch brush - bla bla bla.  I will let Bob explain in his episodes.  It is important to note that when it comes to cleaning these bruses DO NOT use water.  Use paint thinner.  I have read on various sites that water can be used - but others note (and as I have discovered and can confirm) water cleaning of natural hair brushes can lead to damage.  Of course you can risk it and simply be a good patron returning here to order more.  What exactly happens?  Hmm well think hair product commercials and the Frizzy Hair comments.  I am no brush engineer but I did stay at a Holiday In Express once. So if you don't mind "split ends" which could result in the paint being 'cut' by your brush, or having to constantly trim your brush, or your brush quickly degrading.  Just use the paint thinner.

For example, my first two inch brush after only a dozen paintings.  Cleaned with water.


Paing Brush Drying Rack.


After a number of purchases ... I mean reviewing options ... I settled on this one.  Its inexpensive, and works.  What else can I say?

You are going to want to hang your brushes to try, after cleaning them.  Otherwise, well refer to the picture above of my 2" brush.

Paint Thinner.

Of course you can use Bob Ross paint thinner, which I primarily use but in a pinch I will also use Mona Lisa by Speedball.  Primarily based on availablility, my poor planning and whichever I can get faster.  I will note that it appears - to me - that the Bob Ross paint thinner does a better job at setteling solids when it comes to recycling the thinner.  Which I will discuss later.

NOTES:

  • As with any chemicals - KEEP OUT OF REACH of children, pets, etc.  Take your precautions.
  • Don't mix thinners in the same container.  I cannot say anything bad will happen, but other web sites say this is really no bueno.  Keep your thinners separate.

Cleaning Bucket.

You will need something to put your paint thinner in, so that you can clean out your brushes.  Why not use the Bob Ross bucket?  It comes with a handy metal screen to scrub your brush against and the bucket conveniently fits into the cleaning bucket holder supplied with the Bob Ross Easel (see the easel blog)

One Gallon Freezer Bags

What?  Not a Bob Ross Product?  Well this is where the tips and tricks come into play.  Bob Ross doesan't have a branded freezer bag- but luckily there is a good one from Amazon (sniker).  Who could see that coming?

I learned from a new friend that if put a resealable 1 gallon freezer bag into the Bob Ross Thinner bucket it fits perfectly.  Then put the metal brush scrubber inside that, then add your paint thinner.  When you are done painting you can 'zip' closed the bag.  Yes, the bucket comes with a sealable lid but just easier to zip the bag closed.  This prevents evaporation of the thinner and, as previously stated - is just easier.

Then, when you need to replace the paint thinner (or recycle it) you just open the bag, remove the brush scrubber and recycle the thinner, or dispose of the entire bag itself (PROPERLY).  You have now saved yourself the step of having to clean out your paint thiner bucket.

Nitrile Gloves.

Chemicals are toxic boys and girls, even if they are odorless.  I need XL but find some that fit you and wear them when handeling paints and cleaners.

Paints

I started with Bob Ross paints, but you can use others.  However you need to make sure (as Bob repeatedly says in his shows) for the Alla Prima (wet on wet method) you need a firm paint. So I recommend starting with Ross brand, then possibly expanding your horizons.  I will discuss other brand sI have used later.

You can buy them individually, or as a full set - in small or large amounts.  I recommend starting out with the small size.  Then if you really get into it - the large.

Liquid Clear, White, and Black

Bob Ross uses the Alla Prima method, also known as wet-on-wet.  This means that the canvas needs to be wet, or prepared, before you begin painting.  There are three primary underpants that he uses for this:

Along with these liquid (or magic) Clear, White and Black are Bob Ross Gessos.  Gesso is used to prepare, or prime the canvas before you start to paint.  Now, I use a low cost canvas sourced from my local art store.  These come pre-primed, so I do not have to gesso them.  However, there may be times when you do need to gesso a canvas.  For example, if you are creating a painting that requires black canvas and all you have is white, then you would prime it with a black gesso.

The idea being you can use these for different affects.  I will let him exlain those effects to you in his own videos.  But essentially they make it easy to apply the paints, move the paints, and even mix the paints directly on the canvas.  

A Pallet.

Bob ross has a nice large clear pallet.  But you of course can use whatever pallet you wish.  I would stay away from anything absorbant, such as wood.  The bad news (Full disclosure) at the time of this writing the prices on Amazon for this item are, well excessive.  But check back.  It could just be someone trying to jack up the price due to limited availability.

Now, when it comes to cleaning this item remember that paints and thinners are chemicals so you don't want to flush them or wash them down the drain.  What do you do?  I used my paint knives to first remove  all the excess paint then using paper towels and paint thinner cleaned the rest.  What a mess.  Then my friend told me to use Baby Wipes.  I found a brand that I like, and have been very pleased with ...

Grime Boss Heavy Duty Wipes

What is really nice about these is they are rought textured on one side which really makes swift work of removing oils from the pallet.  Amazing when compared to the other brands.

Ok, enough for now.  There are other items - but they can be detailed in another section.  This one is gotten much longer than I desired.  

Comments