Lessons Learned: Caring for your Palette

"Does your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Jim McCluskey from Everett, Washington, United States, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

That use to be a line from a funny little song many years ago.  

Well, I recently read a post that you can leave paint on your palette, if you plan on coming back to it.  Even if it is the next day.  Just put some Saran Wrap over the palette to protect the paint and keep it from drying out.

A word on this concept.

NO.

So yesterday I painted, and I put what might be considered a bit too much paint on my palette.  How much should you put on?  A have read in a number of posts that, especially for those starting out, only put about a capful on our palette.  If you need more - then you can squeeze out more.  On the other hand, it is kind of disappointing to watch a big splotch of Titanium White, Prussian Blue, Cad Yellow and Vandyke Brown being scraped off into the trash.

Wanna know what is even more disappointing?  Spending 15 minutes scraping dried Titanium White, Prussian Blue, Cad Yellow and Vandyke Brown off a palette once it has dried.

Yes, I probably made a couple mistakes in trying this concept out.  But to be sure - it isn't a concept I will be trying again anytime in the near future.

Im here to make mistakes - so you don't have to.

And no, I didn't take a picture of 14 shades of paint dried atop my large expensive palette.  You will just have to trust me that it happened.

Comments